The history of this part of Bridlington is very interesting.
Close by is the Priory Church of St Mary which together with the Bayle Gate (now the town museum) is all that is left of the Augustinian Priory founded in the 12th C and was dissolved in the 16th C by Henry VIII. Instead of the land going to one of his favourites it was taken over by a collection of men known as the Lord Feoffees and this fine body is still in existence today and does much charitable work in the town.
The Old Town has the reputation of being one of the most complete Georgian streets left in the United Kingdom today and was saved from demolition by a local architect called Francis Johnston whose practice is still working from High Street. Also to be found in the High Street is a Chemists founded in 1819 (still with all of the old acoutrements inside) a superb shoe shop, a delicatessen and several art galleries and antiques businesses. There are also a number of restaurants and pubs. The High Street is also in great demand for filming period scenes. Recent productions include "Brides In The Bath" and "The Royal".
The Georgian Rooms was opened in May 2000 after nine months of extensive refurbishment.
Since January 2015 both the Tea Rooms and The Antique Centre have been operated by Sue Tobias who has had previous exoerience in both Tea Rooms and Antiqye sales.